Saturday, February 18, 2012

Shougatsu Event

 

On January 22, 2012 the Misawa International Center hosted a “Shougatsu” or “New Year’s” Event. There were many traditional activities and a performance by the local koto students.

DSC_6093

The events that took place this day were Mochi Tsuki (rice cake punding), maki zushi making (rolled sushi), koma mawashi (top spinning), Kakizome (New Year Calligraphy) and koto  playing(Japanese traditional instrument).

DSC_6108DSC_6106DSC_6138

I particularly enjoyed playing the koto. Sensei said I was very good. I might try to take lessons!

 

DSC_6165

I was asked to do an interview with a journalist. Considering my limited knowledge of Japanese I was surprised how much I could express myself. The article is below.

articlewouthighlight

No comments:

Post a Comment